Sunday, July 19, 2015

Johnson's U Pick Farm (Gridley)


Hello there.

I am still here.

And I have been busy!

Yesterday, as the sun made it's way up into the wide blue sky, my mama and I drove to Gridley to Johnson's U Pick Farm. It was a perfect morning for picking-- sunny, slightly breezy and cool, cool, cool. All the fruit, vegetables and berries are booming right now at the farm so now (now!) is the time to make the short drive and get your u pick on.



There is a glut of tomatoes at the farm, and my 10 pounds of tomatoes and my mom's 20 pounds didn't even make a teeny, tiny dent in the abundance available.

Along with the tomatoes, I also picked grapes, peaches, zucchini, basil, jalapenos, strawberries, green and red bell peppers. Earlier in the season we spent the morning (really, picking only took 30 minutes, the rest of the time Nix was playing) there and came home with 8 pounds of blueberries, blackberries and strawberries.

Oh, and it only cost $14 for all those berries.

For reals.



There is a swing set, toddler slide, play kitchen and various toddler lawnmowers and cars here and there to keep the children busy while you pick. They also have chickens, a kitty and a sweet piggy named Zero.

Yesterday was my third time there this season and don't be surprised if you hear that I went back for more, more, more. The prices are amazingly low, the produce is delicious, the family that owns the farm is kind and helpful and it is a great family outing.

I just wrapped up day 1 of my cooking frenzy week, I want to make the most of all this fresh, tasty abundance. Today I made-- 2 batches of Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce (always.), a couple jars of fire-roasted salsa with chipotle and a bacon, onion and spinach frittata for dinner. Tomorrow I plan to make pesto and pizza sauce. On Tuesday I have ratatouille, zucchini noodles and zucchini fritters on the agenda.


I highly recommend you get up early, grab a cup of coffee from your favorite cafe and hit the 99. Johnson's U Pick Farm is just a 30 minute drive south and SO worth the drive. The farm is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment