Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Cider-Braised Pork Butt


The mister and I celebrated 8 years of wedded bliss last week and, as you can probably guess, we prefer to celebrate special occasions with good food and not gifts. And when the food is this good, who needs a present? 

***Disclaimer- The mister actually bought me a lovely letterpress card and a gift card to my favorite local paperie, Wild Ink Press, and I didn't buy him a damn thing. But I did spend all day cooking for us, so that counts for something, yes?
 


I am sorry for the slightly blurry, not so pretty photos. By the time I started snapping photos I had 3 things going on at once and I was in a hurry, hurry, hurry.

Back to the pork.

This is the recipe I used, from Fake Ginger, and I just made a few changes. I added a couple tablespoons of 
Bulleit bourbon to the skillet after I softened and slightly caramelized the (1yellow) onion (instead of shallots). I also used 2 bay leaves instead of 1, simply because I love the subtle flavor of bay and wanted that to come through a bit more. My last tweak was that when I was reducing that luscious sauce I added another couple tablespoons of bourbon and some more apple cider and a little fresh lemon juice, just to brighten and freshen up the flavor of the long-cooking sauce. 

Make this. Eat this. Freeze half. 

Your welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment